Sunday, August 28, 2005

Should I get a second job?

It is an interesting question. Since I am not studying in school and seem to have plenty of free time, should I get a second job for extra cash? Here is the analysis.





Pros:



- Branching out.



It is a good chance for me to be exposed in various type of industry as a part-time worker and gain more working experience.



- Making more friends.



I want to meet new people and expand the social circle.



- Extra cash.



Although it is just a part-time job which might provide me HK$25- 40 per hour, a buck is a buck. Why don’t I keep saving for the emergency?



- Goodies from work.



Like me, I want to work for Starbuck so that I could learn how to make coffee for free. Or if I work in my favorite boutique, I could shop with discount.



Cons:



- Spend less time with my family.



Honestly, I do not spend enough time with my parents and only have dinner with them a few times a week. If possible, we should watch movies, go to concerts, travel & hang out more often.



- Time conflict with my current job.



As a Marketing Executive in a Printing & Design Firm, I have to be on call 24/7. What if my day job has a emergency situation which needs me to resolve during the second job working hour? Should I stay or leave to resolve the problem immediately?



- Lower my day job productivity.



If my second job is a labor intensive type of job nature, my body might not be able to recover over night.



…… Well, I should find the part time job first. Then I can decide “to be or not to be” in this change.

No comments: