Sunday, August 05, 2007

A hair salon scam in Hong Kong

Hair Salon scam in Hong Kong

July 30 (Mon), 2007 around 5:00pm
There was an ad in front of the hair salon at my home. It showed that with the package of HK$198.00, customer could enjoy the hair coloring service and hot oil treatment. Therefore, I asked a few questions regarding the service and check the price of hair cut if added into the package with their staff. After agreeing HK$50- the cost of hair cut, the young women with a cap led me to the chair and dyed my hair into dark purple as I instructed her to do so.

“Sorry, Madam! As your hair was just dyed into dark purple, we suggest that you should have the hot oil treatment next time in order to preserve your hair color.” She sounded so professional with caring voice.

“No problem. How could I get the treatment then next time?” I asked.

“Ok. We will issue a card and you could redeem it anytime.” She said.
.
.
.
I left this salon with the card for the next treatment and paid HK$248.00 with cash.

August 5, 2007 around 5:00pm again
After borrowing a few travel books in the Lok Fu Public library, I went into the salon and redeemed the hot oil treatment.

Same young women greeted me and instructed me to have a hair wash before oil treatment. A middle age women with a heavy mainland Chinese accent told me that I should upgrade my oil treatment. She did not explain why and just kept talking during the hair wash. Surely, the upgrade idea was rejected and young women continued the hot oil treatment.

30 min later with the completion of the hair blow drying, I left the salon and asked the young women if I needed to do anything.

“Just go to the counter.” She said

“Madam. HK$49.00 please!” Another middle age women with a glasses.

“What is the HK$49.00 about?” I asked surprisingly.
“It is for hair washing.”
“Why didn’t the card show that the cost?”
“It is a common practice here.”

Then, there was a manager came and told me that I should pay HK$49.00 because of using their service. Otherwise, they would call the police.

“Sorry, I’m not sure if I should pay this time as your salon has not mentioned to me at all. The young girl there has not told me anything about the cost of hair wash. Please call the police.”

15 minutes later. The police came and asked for my id card while asking me the case. I was little bit scared, not because of money, but I have found that I might left my id card at the counter of library.

Therefore, I showed them my student id and driver license instead. They trusted my testimony and calmed me down.

“Madam. I believe that it’s a communication problem. Since you have not asked the charge of service in detail to the staff and they never mentioned the hidden cost of hair washing. There are two options:

1) You pay HK$49.00 now and file a complaint to the consumer council with this case number later.
2) We will charge you for not paying the service because of …”

Here are my questions:
1) Since the hair could not be preserved to the coloring after the hot oil treatment, why would they make them together as a package?
2) Is "hair washing" a hidden cost? Or it is a unwritten law if customer prefers to have hot oil treatment next time and be willing to pay the cost along?
3) Am I not local enough and not familiar with the hair salon business nowadays?

My suggestion next time from the Consumer Council.

How to Complain

If the trader fails to address your concern, you are welcome to lodge your complaint with the Consumer Council

When consumers come across unfair trade practices, e.g .

- goods or services not correspond to description;
- delay in delivery;
- dissatisfaction to service,

Having negotiated with the providers in vain, consumers are welcome to lodge your complaint with the Consumer Council.

You may choose any of the followings to communicate with us:-

In writing
write down all the details of the incident and the points of dissatisfaction.Specify the claim and, with a copy of related receipts or documents, send to the Council:

Consumer Council
North Point Consumer Advice Centre
Room 1410 14/F
Kodak House II39
Healthy Street East
North Point
Hong Kong

By Phone :(852) 2929 2222
(Services hours : Monday to Friday 09:00 am - 05:30 pm)

By Fax :(852) 2856 3611

In person : Visit any of our Consumer Advice Centres and lodge your case.Office hours : Monday to Friday
09:00 AM to 01:00 PM
02:00 PM to 06:00 PM
On-line - Complaint - Enquiry

Overall
What I lose?
- My time
- Money
- Trust on this local hair salon

What they lose?
- Their reputation
- Me... their potiential customer
- Other customers Surly there were plenty of people were watching this show.

What I gain?
- A lesson- I should be much more careful about hair service in Hong Kong. I should ask more questions regarding the serivce.
- Be not afraid of telling the truth.
- Be calm when other people look at me different or say something bad about me in front of my face.
- A very interesting blog entry here and a story I could share this week. :)

What they gain?
- HK$49.00 and an unhappy customer
- A heavy lesson from policemen

For you...
消費權益在你手,據理力爭要開口

No comments: